24 Hours in the Overberg – things to do in Hermanus, Kleinmond and Onrus
To recharge those run-down batteries and sweep away the stress of work pressures, a superb quick-fix solution lies surprisingly close by: the Overberg is justifiably labelled as one of the most beautiful areas in our country and lies within a quick and scenically lovely drive from the Mother City. Quite apart from the fact that the numerous inviting towns all offer accommodation in uniquely beautiful corners of this region, there are a legion of options available as to how to pass your time, even if your getaway can only be overnight.
Hermanus offers a staggering range of visual treats, refreshing activities, dining delights, and accommodation to suit each pocket and taste.
For an overnight stay, the visitor is truly spoilt for choice in one of the most varied and magnificent holiday destinations worldwide: possibilities reach a total of many hundreds, amongst which 426 hotels will open welcoming doors.
- Accommodation varies from luxury guesthouses and hotels, to lodges, bed and breakfast options and self-catering facilities, to Backpackers.
- For those who want to be close to all the action, the restaurants and unique shopping opportunities, 6 Stemmet Lodge is a perfect self-catering option in the very heart of this lovely town.
- The Windsor Hotel and countless others are equally popular, but for those who desire a more tranquil niche, Hermanus Beach Club has an endless selection of lovely cottages in a safe security complex. In close-by and tranquil Sandbaai, Voelklip and Lagoon View, equally enticing options exist.
- Also internationally famous for being one of the world’s best whale-watching sites, Hermanus lies just 100km from Cape Town. Celebrate the privilege of seeing these gentle migratory giants up close – the only Whale Crier in the entire world will alert you to their presence with his kelp horn. To learn more about these massive and mysterious creatures, watch the compelling audiovisual presentation offered daily at the Whale Museum there.
- Scenically this lovely town offers unrivalled beauty, and the Fernkloof Nature Reserve is a must-visit for all nature lovers: with its glorious fynbos, and wide variety of animals and birds, it also offers activities to appeal to all and sundry. Those who require a leisurely experience can amble along amongst the flowers; for the infirm, a wheel chair path has even been provided. For those who demand the thrill of a physical challenge, the options are heaven-sent: it offers ideal hiking routes for building up a sweat, and the added excitement of a mountain bike trail.
- Lazing in the sun has never been this enticing, for many secluded coves along the coast exist as perfect picnic spots, and the beaches are famous for their beauty.
- For the energetic, surfing and swimming are obvious options, yet these pursuits are merely two amongst a multitude of outdoor activities on offer: Hermanus now offers stand-up paddle boarding (known as SUP-ing) for those in search of a new thrill in the ideal flat-water conditions of the Kleinriver Lagoon. All required equipment and even training for this easy-to-learn sport is provided right there. Scuba diving, kayaking, fly fishing and canoe river trips are further options. Additionally, every away-from-the water sport is catered for: paragliding, horse riding, quad biking, golf, tree top sliding, and tennis, squash and bowls.
- A mouthwatering lure comes in the form of countless superb restaurants and outstanding Wine Estates where the discerning palate will be treated royally: the Wine Village, voted one of the best wine destinations in the country, the Boutique Winery, and the wine route of the famous and inimitable Hemel en Aarde Valley, where wine and food pairings will please even the most fastidious and discerning gourmets. Translating as Heaven and Earth, this region is unequivocally deserving of the name for the excellence of its offerings.
To enjoy the diversity of Hermanus from a less busy destination, going to stay in Kleinmond, a half hour drive away, is a clever alternative, as it offers a great many of the pleasurable activities mentioned above, and is well worth getting to know in its own right.
- Visiting the LekkeSlaap accommodation website alone ensures easy and endlessly enticing options in tranquil surrounds and as close to the sea’s soothing sounds as one could imagine. Hotels, self-catering B&B’s, Airbnb’s and guest houses, beach homes and apartments abound.
- This restful seaside venue also offers something unique to the area: exquisite getaways to the unspoiled natural beauty of the Palmiet River in the Oudebosch Eco-cabins, and the Kleinmond Nature Reserve to satisfy all those seeking the calming embrace of nature.
- Unique to Kleinmond is the unusual shopping street, aptly named Harbour Road, designed to retain an open market feel and presenting lovely galleries, local crafts, wines, delectable traditional dishes and seafood, and gifts.
- When adventure calls after sightseeing, Gravity Adventure Group will lead the way to whatever one’s inclination desires in the form of rafting, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, and more.
- Those who prefer a simple stroll through our valued fynbos, can walk the Palmiet River Trail or Highlands Trail, and the famed Harold Porter National Botanical Garden is nearby.
For those who long for something truly rare and tranquil, the unspoilt and idyllic lure of Onrus lies even closer as neighbour to Hermanus; many of our famous artists and authors have chosen this unique retreat as their home.
- As a cultural enclave it offers several local art galleries, and craft and speciality shops. The popular Milkwood Restaurant right on the beach has a justifiably good name for its reliably delicious food and is named after the Milkwood trees which grow in abundance here.
- The Beach here is a great attraction for both surfers and bodyboarders, and the Onrus Beach Bistro offers great casual fare for them and other ravenous visitors to the Onrus Camp Site.
- Molteno’s, Bella Napoli and Goddard’s Pub and Grill have equally good reputations. The Onrus Lagoon offers safe swimming for toddlers and the opportunity for sailing.
- Though modest in size and diversity, this peaceful and picturesque haven is deserving of inclusion in the potpourri of irresistible attractions in this part of the world; it is an indispensable little gem amongst the jewels of the Overberg.
The raison d’etre for My Lifestyle Collections
The Western Cape offers a rich history of architecture, beautiful fauna and flora, together with captivating views of magnificent mountain ranges and the scenic blue of the oceans. In fact, it offers the best in experience and lifestyle anywhere in the world. And we believe in making the best of what both nature and refined living can offer, including beautiful places to relax and indulge your senses, fitness and health information and lifestyle enhancement through the promotion of brilliantly refurbished antique items.
If this sounds like an intriguing combination of services, find out more about our unique lifestyle offerings at: www.mylifestylecollections.com